Manage episode 362371501 series 1355245
Joseph Goldstein examines what happiness is and how we get it, plus he outlines the very ordered stages of progress that occur on the path of insight and wisdom.
“There’s another kind of happiness, which is higher even than the happiness of concentration, and that’s the happiness of insight, the happiness of wisdom, when we really come to a deep and profound understanding of who we are, of what this life is about.” – Joseph Goldstein
In this episode, Joseph explores:
- The happiness born from sense pleasures, not only in this realm but in the higher realms
- How purity of conduct, through both generosity and understanding virtue, can bring sense pleasures
- The happiness that comes from concentration
- The happiness that comes from insight and wisdom
- The very ordered way that the progress of insight unfolds: psychological insights, purity of view, vipassana happiness, fear of the process of existence, the urge for deliverance, the stage of equanimity, and finally, opening to the unconditioned, that which is beyond the mind
This dharma talk from October 14, 1982, was originally published on Dharma Seed.