Manage episode 342903058 series 2391274
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today, we're excited to have Derek Brainard, National Director of Financial Education at AccessLex Institute, talking with us about everyone's favorite topic - student loans!
In this episode we discuss:
- Derek's background and current role
- Services offered by AccessLex Institute
- What should students and grads know about payments restarting?
- The big news regarding loan forgiveness
- What happens if your loans are sold to a different servicer?
- Budgeting advice for law students
- AccessLex Institute (https://www.accesslex.org/)
- AccessConnex by AccessLex (https://www.accesslex.org/accessconnex)
- Ask EDNA! Education Network at AccessLex (https://www.accesslex.org/ask-edna)
- Federal Student Aid (https://studentaid.gov/)
- Annual Credit Report (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action)
- Podcast Episode 38: Can You Really Afford Law School? (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-38-can-you-really-afford-law-school/)
- Podcast Episode 177: Real Talk About Student Loan Debt (w/Financial Expert Travis Hornsby) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-177-real-talk-about-student-loan-debt-w-financial-expert-travis-hornsby/)
- Podcast Episode 184: Handling Law School Finances (w/Lyssa Thaden of AccessLex) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-184-handling-law-school-finances-w-lyssa-thaden-of-accesslex/)
- Podcast Episode 294: Money Talk (w/Carrie Friedberg) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-294-money-talk-w-carrie-friedberg/)
- The Reality of Law School Debt and Planning for It (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/the-reality-of-law-school-debt-and-planning-for-it/)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee