MI264: How to Pick Stocks Using Earnings Estimate Revisions, Price Trends, and Valuations w/ Sam Burns
Manage episode 358530227 series 2539397
Rebecca Hotsko and Sam Burns discuss, Sam's 2023 market outlook, the strong market performance despite negative earnings revisions, and more!
Sam Burns, CFA is the chief strategist at Mill Street Research – an independent research company specializing in proprietary institutional research tools for asset allocation, stock selection, and macro-economic indicators.
Burns has more than 20 years of experience as a market strategist providing US and global investment insights at Wall Street firms including Oppenheimer & Co., Brown Brothers Harriman, State Street Global Markets, and Ned Davis Research.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
0:00 - Intro
02:45 - The current state of the market and Sam’s outlook for 2023.
09:46 - Why the market has held up so far despite the negative revisions to analyst’s earnings estimates.
24:34 - Sam’s specialty at Mill Street research which is tracking analyst earnings revisions.
30:32 - How analyst earning revisions can be used to inform an investment strategy.
35:49 - Investment strategies related to analyst earnings revisions, including the sectors that are seeing better-than-expected revisions.
47:31 - Which sectors have seen the most downward revisions in earnings estimates?
50:06 - Which sectors Sam is most bullish on long term.
53:03 - The indicators Sam is watching that indicator the market may be on an uptrend.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Check out: Mill Street Research.
- Related Episode: Listen to MI255: Navigating Bubble 3.0: Is This Time Different? w/ David Hay, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Millennial Investing Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try Robert and Rebecca’s favorite tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Universal life insurance can offer protection and long-term tax-advantaged savings for your future goals & milestones. Get a universal life policy today through a simple, easy, and 100% digital purchase journey with Everly.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!