Manage episode 377470844 series 3351428
In honor of Latinx Heritage Month, this week we are discussing Mexican icon and super-genius, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz. From her rebellious childhood to her time in the royal court and later her life as a nun. Then we explore how she became known as the “The Tenth Muse” and how it affected her personal and professional life, including connections to other important figures in Mexico at the time. Later we dig into some rumors about her and how her writings made her enemy number one in the eyes of the church. Lastly we talk about her impact on literature, music, film, theater and more.
Follow the podcast:
Become a Patreon supporter: patreon.com/bigreputationspod
Hosts: Kimberly Kunkle and Rebecca L. Salois
Logo Design: Samantha Marmolejo
Music: Shawn P. Russell
Sound Consultant and Mixing: Shawn P. Russell
Editing: Rebecca L. Salois
- Complete Works, by Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz
- I, The Worst of All, directed by Maria Luisa Bemberg (on Kanopy)
- A Life Without and Within: Juana Ramírez / Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, by Electa Arenal
- Sor Juana: Or, the Traps of Faith, by Octavio Paz
- “History’s Worst Nun,” a TED-Ed video on YouTube
- “Sor Juana, Inside Out, and Saint Saiya” episode of Why Do We Read This?