Manage episode 371112941 series 3351428
In this episode, we discuss the Queen of Power Ballads, Ms. Celine Dion. We cover some of her early life and what got her into the music industry. Then we explore some of the things the media has said about her over the years, especially in regards to the most epic of all of her power ballads, "My Heart Will Go On," written and sung for the Titanic soundtrack. Next we dig into some truths behind her life experiences and choices. We consider why people stigmatize her based on the genre she sings, and the issues they have with the fact that she expresses her emotions. We question the concerns people have with the age difference between her and her husband and the fact that she is unapologetically herself at all times. Finally we talk about where she is now, what she’s up to, her relationship with fans, and her philanthropic efforts.
Trigger warnings: Cancer, death, miscarriage, brief mention of rape, and VERY bad French pronunciations
Follow the podcast:
Become a Patreon supporter: patreon.com/bigreputationspod
Hosts: Kimberly Kunkle and Rebecca L. Salois
Logo Design: Samantha Marmolejo
Music: Shawn P. Russell
Sound Consultant and Mixing: Shawn P. Russell
Recording and Editing: Rebecca L. Salois
- The Oral History of Celine Dion’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’: Controversies, Doubts & ‘Belly Pains’ In the Studio By Mickey Rapkin
- Let's Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste by Carl Wilson
- People Who Like Céline Dion Are People, Too By Ian Crouch
- Celine Dion: My Story, My Dream by Celine Dion
- The Céline Dion Snub: Ignorance, or a ‘Rolling Stone’ bid for hate clicks?