TIP526: Quality Investing: Lessons from Terry Smith
Manage episode 355923645 series 1394353
On today’s episode, Clay Finck discusses the investment philosophies and framework of Terry Smith, who is the founder and CEO of Fundsmith and also known as the Warren Buffett of Great Britain.
Smith started Fundsmith in 2010, and ever since has returned 478% to his investors versus his benchmark returning 256%. He did this using the simple framework of buying good companies, not overpaying, and holding them for the long-term.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:12 - Why Terry Smith only seeks to own high-quality companies.
04:52 - How investors can go about determining the quality of a business.
08:01 - How Terry Smith compares the valuation of his portfolio against that of the S&P 500.
15:15 - Why investors must be cognizant of stock-based compensation when valuing a company.
29:28 - Why macroeconomic views and opinions are irrelevant for investors in quality businesses.
46:39 Why stocks are the best long-term investment relative to other asset classes.
53:51 - What Terry Smith’s top US equity holdings are today.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Terry Smith’s Shareholder Letters.
- Rebecca’s Article on Mean Reversion.
- Don’t miss our review of Four Wide Moat Stocks for 2023.
- Check out our takeaways from Warren Buffett's Shareholder Letters.
- Follow Clay on Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Enjoy a hardware wallet designed for your whole Bitcoin journey with Blockstream Jade. Use coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!