Manage episode 287154024 series 1458561
A common topic of conversation is nutrition tips for endurance athletes. There are many different approaches, but understanding the basics of sports nutrition will help you make personalized decisions to find the right fit for you. Enter: Anne Guzman- sports nutritionist.
Anne is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist with the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, specializing in Sports Nutrition as a Sports Nutrition Consultant. She believes that athletes often undermine their training by not fueling their bodies with proper nutrition as well as not timing their nutrition optimally for performance gains.
Anne has an interesting background as an athlete. She was a Varsity Freestyle Wrestler and also become a Professional Road Cyclist, racing both nationally and internationally. She has competed in World Cup Races, the 2007 Pan Am Games as well as in Europe. Anne's curiosity and love of learning enabled her to also use her own body as an experiment for recovery and race nutrition.
"But when it comes time to get down and dirty and train hard, you have to be willing to... yeah you can do it with potatoes, but eat some easily digestible carbohydrates to fuel the work. I think it’s a big picture, an athlete needs both sports nutrition and good daily nutrition but it’s about knowing when you have to kind of step more into the performance nutrition based on how close you are to your training and what you’re doing on the bike. And a lot of it has to do with digestion."
-Anne GuzmanTopics Discussed in the Podcast
- Anne's love of learning
- Sports nutrition for activity level
- nutrition for competitive athletes versus exercising for health
- nutrition pitfalls of endurance athletes (carbs, caffeine strategy, hydration)
- the right kind of fatigue
- should you take supplements?
- restricting calories
Listen Now: Nutrition Tips for Endurance Athletes
- Check out all of Anne's articles on Prokit
- Follow Anne on twitter
- visit Anne Guzman's website
- Learn about RED-S
- Get the Plant Powered Academy Cookbook!
- Listen to this episode all about sports nutrition I recorded with Roxanne Vogel of GU Energy Labs
- Listen to Anne Guzman's podcast!
___ Try Inside Tracker Blood Test for Athletes
For 25% off, get the Inside Tracker Discount code! The Inside Tracker Discount Code is good for all purchases store-wide.How does the InsideTracker blood test work?
- They measure over 30 biomarkers like cortisol, hsCRP (inflammation), magnesium, vitamin D, ferritin and so much more.
- Each biomarker shows an optimized range and how you can add in healthy foods to get your blood biomarkers to perform better.
- Offers InnerAge testing
- Over 2,000 partnering labs in the USA + home testing in Canada
- Gives you a big picture view of your health and wellness. It's empowering to know what to do to enhance your performance and see tangible results.
________________________________________________ Don’t Miss an Episode: Subscribe!