Manage episode 303823248 series 1312787
This week on The Reason Roundtable, Matt Welch, Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie tackle the pending $3.5 trillion spending bill and the also-pending vaccine mandates for students under 12.
Discussed in the show:
1:23: The infrastructure bill that was supposed to be finalized last week (and why no one is talking about it).
22:54: Weekly Listener Question: I get that trains aren't the most efficient way of getting around and require massive tax hikes, eminent domain, etc., but I still want them. How do I reconcile that with being a libertarian? Why can't we get them in places besides New York City?
31:48: Gavin Newsom plans to add the coronavirus vaccine to the list of mandated vaccines for public schools—as soon as it's approved, that is.
49:56: Media recommendations for the week.
This week's links:
- "What Americans Think About The Fight Over The Debt Ceiling," by Geoffrey Skelley and Mackenzie Wilkes
- "Joe Manchin Is Forcing Congress To Think About the Deficit. Good," by Eric Boehm
- "Joe Manchin Just Cooked the Planet," by Jeff Goodell
- "Vaccine Mandates Coming for K-12 Students," by Matt Welch
- "Public Health Officials Blew Up Their Credibility, and We're Paying the Price," by J.D. Tuccille
Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
- Living in a digital age where your personal data are always under attack, your online privacy seems to be a thing of the past. Did you know there is a way to protect your information and privacy without worrying about Big Tech mining and stealing your private data? Introducing Sekur—an encrypted instant messaging and secure email service hosted in Switzerland, where the world's strictest data privacy laws are applied. Take back your privacy and online security with Sekur, by going to Sekur.com.
Audio production by Ian Keyser
Assistant production by Regan Taylor
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve