Manage episode 323969595 series 2548549
In the latest Reason Roundtable, editors Matt Welch, Peter Suderman, Katherine Mangu-Ward, and Nick Gillespie discuss the violent turn at an otherwise standard Oscar Sunday as well as President Joe Biden's regrettable remark on Russia.
1:56: Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars
13:51: Biden calls for regime change in Russia
27:49: Weekly listener question: "Do you think the U.S. has moved from a society of 'tolerance' to one of 'forced acceptance'? And based on your answer, do you think that's a positive or a negative? It seems to me that major 'culture war' issues bubble up when they are forced upon adults or involve children. For instance: No one really cared about drag queens until drag queen story hours. No one really cared about the trans movement until the bathroom bills and sports issues. Many more examples could be named, I'm sure."
40:55: Supreme Court hearings and thoughts about Ketanji Brown Jackson.
This week's links:
- "Be Like Chris Rock," by Eric Boehm
- "Josh Hawley's Attack on Ketanji Brown Jackson Illustrates the Emotionalism She Criticized," by Jacob Sullum
- "Biden says Putin 'cannot remain in power'," by Kevin Liptak and Maegan Vazquez
- Jacqui Heinrich's Twitter
Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- Tired of feeling like someone's always watching you on the internet? Maybe advertisers know a bit too much about you, or you're concerned about the privacy of your identity? Using incognito mode won't solve the problem. IPVanish VPN is here to protect your right to privacy and help you stay anonymous online. IPVanish helps you safely browse the internet without exposing your private details to third parties such as hackers, your ISP, or advertisers. You can use IPVanish on your computers, tablets, phones…even devices like your Firestick when you're streaming media. When you use IPVanish, all of your data are encrypted. This means that your private details, passwords, communications, browsing history, and more will be completely shielded from falling into the wrong hands. Even your physical location will be hidden. IPVanish makes you virtually invisible online. It's that simple. Whether I'm at home or in public, I don't go online anymore without using IPVanish. IPVanish is offering an incredible 70 percent off its yearly plan for our listeners with a 30-day money-back guarantee.. That's like getting 9 months for free. IPVanish is super easy to use. All you have to do is tap one button and you're instantly protected. You won't even know it's on. Stop sharing with the world everything you watch, everything you search for, and everything you buy. Take your privacy back today with the brand rated 4.6/5 on Trustpilot. So go to IPVANISH.com/roundtable and use promotional code ROUNDTABLE—and claim your 70 percent savings.
- We all want to make sure our family is protected in a medical emergency. What many of us don't realize is that health insurance won't always cover the full amount of an emergency medical flight. Even with comprehensive coverage, you could get hit with high deductibles and co-pays. That's why an AirMedCare Network membership is so important. As a member, if an emergency arises, you won't see a bill for air medical transport when flown by an AMCN provider. Best of all, a membership covers your entire household for as little as $85 a year. AMCN providers are called upon to transport more than 100,000 patients a year. This is coverage no family should be without. Now, as a listener of our show, you'll get up to a $50 Visa or Amazon Gift Card with a new membership. Simply visit AirMedCare Network.com/reason and use offer code REASON.
Audio production by Ian Keyser
Assistant production by Adam Czarnecki
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve