Manage episode 292387803 series 2899478
Hello, kaiju lovers!
We’ve reached the point where the “Year of Gamera” gets even goofier—and where Nate begins to miss seeing the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes even more. He’s joined by returning guest, Earth Destruction Directive host Luke Jaconetti, and newcomer/MSTie Greg Meyer to discuss Gamera vs. Guiron. The “Kennys” get more precocious and useless (Tom is dead inside). The monsters get more outlandish (Guiron is Knifehead, anyone?). And the villains get … shapely jumpsuits? Listen as Nate, Luke, and Greg connect this movie to Chronicles of Narnia and Barbarella, among other things, and muse about their favorite riffs from the MST3K episode. Nate’s descent into madness continues.
The Toku Topic is the First Traffic War in Japan. It may sound like a forgotten Transformers storyline, but it’s actually a time period when car accidents increased dramatically in the Land of the Rising Sun. Hence why Akio is obsessed with making a world “without wars or traffic accidents” in this movie.
Beforehand, Nate is visited by Jessica Shaw, his pseudo-sister clone, and she tells him she’s bringing Luke and Greg with her first tour group, who will then watch their live broadcast. Then afterward, the infamous Terran spacewomen, Flobella and Barbella, come to Earth to kidnap Gamera—but not if Monster Island’s own magical girl superheroine, Crystal Lady (aka Jessica), has anything to say about it!
Guest Stars: -Sarah Marchand as Jessica Shaw/Crystal Lady -Sparkles Schreck as Flobella -Hoshiko as Barbella
Prologue and epilogue, “Shine! Crystal Lady! Parts 1-2,” written by Nathan Marchand.
Music: -“A weird thing” by Chiro -“Transformation (Sailor Moon Remix)” by Vincent Lee -“The Aliens’ Plan” by Shunsuke Kikuchi
Sound effects sourced from Freesound.org, including some by InspectorJ, and the Toho Foley library.
Special Crystal Lady sound effects created by J.P. Gant. Contact him for commissions on Twitter: @JPGant_UWSD.
We’d like to give a shout-out to our MIFV MAX patrons Travis Alexander and Michael Hamilton (co-hosts of Kaiju Weekly); Danny DiManna (author/creator of the Godzilla Novelization Project); Eli Harris (elizilla13); Chris Cooke (host of One Cross Radio); Bex from Redeemed Otaku; and Damon Noyes! Thanks for your support!
You, too, can join MIFV MAX on Patreon to get this and other perks starting at only $3 a month!
This episode is approved by the Monster Island Board of Directors.
Timestamps: Prologue: 0:00-2:32 Intro: 2:32-12:13 Entertaining Info Dump: 12:13-20:04 Toku Talk: 20:04-1:13:13 Advertisement: 1:13:01-1:14:51 Toku Topic: 1:14:51-1:35:14 Listener Feedback, Housekeeping, & Outro: 1:35:42-1:53:32 Epilogue: 1:53:32-end
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @NasaJimmy Follow the Monster Island Board of Directors on Twitter: @MonsterIslaBOD Follow the Raymund Martin and the MIFV Legal Team on Twitter: @MIFV_LegalTeam Follow Crystal Lady Jessica on Twitter: @CystalLadyJes1
© 2021 Moonlighting Ninjas Media
- “Causes and Countermeasures for Traffic Congestion in Yangon” (Sustainable Development)
- DiManna, Daniel. “Yellow Caps and Traffic Accidents: A Tragic History Lesson.” (The Newswheel).
- Flower, James. “A Guide to English Language Gamera” (Arrow Video Gamera: The Complete Collection).
- Galbraith IV, Stuart. Japanese Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films: A Critical Analysis and Filmography of 103 Features Released in the United States 1950-1992.
- Galvan, Patrick. “Interview: Steve Ryfle: Regarding Ishiro Honda.” (Toho Kingdom).
- Gamera: The Complete Collection, Disc Three Special Features.
- Gamera vs. Guiron Commentary by David Kalat (Arrow Video’s Gamera: The Complete Collection).
- Hayahawa, Hiroshi; Fischbeck, Paul S.; Fischhoff. “Traffic accident statistics and risk perceptions in Japan and the United States.” Accident Analysis and Prevention, no. 32 2000, p. 827–835
- LeMay, John. The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies Volume 1: 1954-1982.
- Macias, Patrick. “A History of Gamera: Gamera vs. Barugon” (Arrow Video’s Gamera: The Complete Collection).
- Milner, David. “Interview with Noriaki Yuasa” (Arrow Video’s Gamera: The Complete Collection).
- Oguchi, Takashi. “Achieving safe road traffic — the experience in Japan.” IATSS Research, no. 39, 2016, p. 110–116.
- “Planets beyond Neptune” (Wikipedia).
- Wiki Articles on Gamera vs. Guiron: