Manage episode 354248365 series 2032122
Mitch Lowe (@mitch__lowe) is a co-founding executive of Netflix, the former CEO of MoviePass, the former president of Redbox, and the author of Watch and Learn: How I Turned Hollywood Upside Down with Netflix, Redbox, and MoviePass ? Lessons in Disruption. [This is part two of a two-part episode. You can find part one here!]
What We Discuss with Mitch Lowe:
- How Netflix tested, marketed, and made its DVD-by-mail service work at a time when the profit margins were low and its brick-and-mortar competition was high.
- How Redbox DVD rentals filled a consumer niche between Netflix and Blockbuster — and was so successful that one machine was being installed per hour for every hour of the day, three years in a row!
- Redbox's loss-prevention and cost-capturing strategies for what were essentially unstaffed video vending machines in operation 24/7.
- Obstacles Netflix and Redbox faced from business interests entrenched in the status quo (and how they were overcome).
- Why Mitch once faked a heart attack to get out of a meeting with Walmart executives.
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/787
This Episode Is Brought To You By Our Fine Sponsors: jordanharbinger.com/deals
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!