Manage episode 345379315 series 2585347
Our guest today is Katlin Smith, founder and CEO of Simple Mills. Simple Mills are Clean, nutritious foods for a better life - it’s that simple. I’m a big fan of their products. We discuss the insight and inspiration behind founding Simple Mills, her approach to raising capital and picking the right investors, how consumer preferences have evolved since she first got started, her approach to nutrition and thinking about better-for-you products in general.
Some of the questions I ask:
- What was the inspiration behind starting Simple Mills?
- You built a large company without raising too much outside capital. What was your strategy and for someone starting a consumer brand today, what suggestions would you give them?
- You’ve been able to grow your company to incredible heights. How have you thought about the shift in the number of brands that are focused on better-for-you products and people that have dietary restrictitions or sensitivities?
- How has Simple Mills evolved to focus not just on people’s health, but also the planet’s health?
- How has consumer preference evolved since you started?
- How Simple Mills has evolved not just people’s health, but also planet’s health?
- How do you think about your own process for creating your products and what are some of the changes you’ve had to make?
- Conscious capitalism
- How do you think about ingredient choice and sustainability?
- How has your mission evolved?
- As a consumer, how have your preferences changed when eating or deciding new products to try?
- With conventional and natural grocery blurring, how do you approach your retail strategy?
- There are lots of narratives when it comes to nutrition and what is and what isn’t good for you. What’s one aspect that you think might be overlooked or misunderstood that’s your belief?
- What were some lessons that you learned throughout your journey in the tough moments?
- What’s one book that inspired you personally and one book that has inspired you professionally?
- All we can save - truth, courage
- The Art of Possibility
- What’s one piece of advice for founders?
- What’s the best piece of advice that you received?