Successful Performercast by Kris Sheppard | Successful Performer Cast | Weekly Interviews with Professional Entertainers | Show Business, Showbiz, Performer, Magic, Magician, Juggler, Comedian, Musician
S8E4: Kenton Knepper - The Magic of Words & Communication
Manage episode 121502888 series 87502
In this interview, Kenton Knepper talks all about nonverbal communication as well as the real power of words when it pertains to performing and doing business.
Kenton Knepper is a mentalist who specializes in nonverbal communication, suggestion, and NLP. He’s one of the most prolific creators in the world of magic and mentalism, and has influenced notable names in the industry like Banachek, David Blaine, Derren Brown, Richard Osterlind, and the living legend Johnny Thompson, just to name a few.
Through his company Wonder Wizards, he teaches his methods through seemingly countless products, courses, and private coaching sessions. A couple of his more widely known products are his Wonder Words course, and one of my favorites, Kolossal Killer.
In my opinion, Kenton is the closest thing you’ll find to a modern day Jedi.
ManageGigs: ManageGigs helps you keep track of all of your gigs online, without having to resort to spreadsheets. Click here to check them out and sign up for your free seven day trial!
Audible: For Performercast Listeners, Audible is offering a free audiobook download and a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Click here to check it out!
Interview with Kenton Knepper: Success Mantra
Keep going, keep doing! One thing that people who fail always do is they stop doing what they were doing.
The Power of Words and Nonverbal Communication
• The importance of words.
• Gives examples of phrases that can help to make our presentations more impressive.
• Reversing what people say to change the meaning.
• Changing a word or two in certain phrases to change how people react to what you’re saying.
• How being authentic helps your nonverbal communication.
• Learning principles that help you to integrate nonverbal tactics.
• Helps to amplify what you already are.
• Connecting with your audience and leaving them better off than they were before they met you.
• Communicating on multiple levels, double entendres, etc.
• Building people up with what you say.
• Shining the spotlight on the people you’re interacting with rather than yourself.
• Connecting other people with each other.
• "Do your good where it does the most.” - Wavy Gravy
• Having a set of tools or principles to be able to use in the right instances.
• Having an “out” for when things don’t go as planned.
• How to “read people” and better connect with them.
• How nonverbal can help out in business situations.
• Best place to start learning nonverbal communication is Kenton’s Wonder Words.
Talks about a close-call underwater escape attempt. He learned the importance of rehearsing in the actual setting you’ll be performing in.
Other Topics Covered
• Talks about his journey and how he took his passion full time.
• Some of the other things he does other than magic, like music and meditation.
• Being really good at all the aspects he was working on.
• Talks about how working restaurants really helps him to get seen and get gigs.
• Talks about what’s going on at Wonder Wizards.
• Talks about the Inner Sanctum which is a monthly subscription to Kenton’s services.
• He also does one-on-one consulting.
Exclusive Content for Patreon Supporters
The uncut version of this interview is available to Patreon Supporters and includes about 10 minutes of additional content. Please consider supporting me on Patreon.
• Hear a story from Kenton that involves JC Wagner and Bob Sheets, and a lesson he learned from them that effects how he performs to this very day!
Be authentic. Be who you really are. Keep going, the only way to really fail is to stop.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you're enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we're doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
The voice memo feature on his iPhone
Mind Games by Masters & Houston
Help Kenton Out
I wanted to bring to your attention something that happened after my interview with Kenton. many of you have already heard about this, but right after his birthday, his home was broken into and many important, valuable items were stolen from him. First of all, Kenton and his family are all okay and nobody was harmed, but some of the notable things stolen from him were a brand new computer that hadn’t even made it out of the box, and a number of guitars and other musical instruments that he uses for his music and meditation work.
So, if you are a friend of Kenton, or his work has helped you in any way, please consider helping him out with a donation of any size. It would mean the world to both Kenton and myself. If you are able, please be sure to mention that the Successful Performercast sent you. Click Here to Help Out
Where can we find Kenton Knepper?