Manage episode 279487024 series 2467879
#GameOfTwoHalves Ep 112: What to make of foreign dominance in the SPL?
Synopsis: Every Tuesday, The Straits Times tackles the biggest sports talking points.
Albirex Niigata were crowned Singapore Premier League champions for the fourth time in five seasons on Dec 5. Their win also ensured that the wait for a local club to lift the league title continues into 2021.
Money FM's Adrian Abraham talks to ST sports correspondents Sazali Abdul Aziz and David Lee on whether Albirex winning the title again should jolt local football, and whether having foreign teams in the SPL is good for the game here.
The three are joined by ST content producer Zia-ul Raushan to recap the weekend’s talking points in European football. Tottenham Hotspur reclaim top spot in the English Premier League and Arsenal slip to their worst start in 45 years, Manchester United pull off another comeback, the Kop power Liverpool to a big win over Wolves, and Chelsea avoid a banana peel by seeing off Leeds.
They discuss the following:
1. A wake up call for local SPL teams and players? (0:54)
2. Do Albirex and Brunei DPMM benefit S’pore football? (4:14)
3. A Mourinho masterclass - in tactics and acting (10:26)
4. A worldie by Paul Pogba, but little else (13:23)
5. Which sides are shaping up as contenders to the EPL? (15:49)
Edited by: Adrian Abraham and Muhammad Firmann
Subscribe to #GameOfTwoHalves podcast series and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWRa
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/JX88
Feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Sazali Abdul Aziz on Twitter: https://str.sg/JbxS
Read his stories: https://str.sg/Jbxq
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
1. A wake up call for local SPL teams and players? (00:00:54)
2. Do Albirex and Brunei DPMM benefit S’pore football? (00:04:14)
3. A Mourinho masterclass - in tactics and acting (00:10:26)
4. A worldie by Paul Pogba, but little else (00:13:23)
5. Which sides are shaping up as contenders to the EPL? (00:15:49)