Manage episode 301799435 series 2101162
This week on Real Talk with Rachael I'm talking with author Wendy Pope about her new book Jesus Everlasting: Leaning on Our Counselor, Defender, Father, and Friend. Wendy is the wife of Scott, mother of Blaire and Griffin, author, speaker, and Bible study teacher. She loves lazy Sundays watching golf with her husband, thrift-store shopping with her daughter, and watching building shows with her son. She is the author of several books - Jesus Everlasting, Hidden Potential, Yes, No, and Maybe and Wait and See. Wendy is the Founder and Executive Director of Word Up Ministries. She leads women all over the world to life change through her in-depth online Bible studies. She has led thousands of women through her Read Through the Word daily video study of the One Year Chronological Bible. Down-to-earth and transparent, Wendy teaches in a way that women feel she is speaking directly to their hearts.Key Points from Our Conversation:
- Wendy's book Jesus Everlasting: Leaning on Our Counselor, Defender, Father, and Friend tells the stories of the everyday women in the Bible who had encounters with Jesus as the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace.
- Jesus is a defender who protects. The truth of His Word is our defense. We can stand on it when we have disagreements and be secure enough to walk away from things that aren’t healthy for us.
- It’s hard to lean into a Heavenly Father you can’t see when an earthly father that you can has disappointed you. It’s a trust relationship that develops over time, but He will never let you down. Invest time getting to know God’s heart; read his word. Start in the Psalms. If you don’t understand, get a children’s Bible or the Living Bible.
- When you're searching for peace in the midst of the storm, fake it until you feel it. Keep digging into God and His Word and the fruits of the spirit will take root.
- “God is not instant because He wants to build a relationship with us and it takes time to do that.”
- When we reflect on God's faithfulness, we're building a "faith bank." We make deposits when things are good and we can make withdrawals when you can’t feel it and know He’ll be faithful again.
- If you want to recognize God in everyday life, you have to spend time with Him. Do everything to build your faith.
- "We have to invest in the 411 (information) about God before we can feel Him in the 911 (emergencies).”
I have two questions to help you lean into Jesus:
Where in your life do you need to pull up a seat for Jesus? What questions do you need to ask Him today?
Be sure to take time to listen for His response.Episode Sponsor:
Sign up for JOYmail – my monthly newsletter that’s full of resources that deliver a little joy and practical action steps for life into your inbox.