Manage episode 317845035 series 2945506
In this episode we speak to Marc Brandner, partner at SmartRiskSolutions a risk and crisis management consultancy. He served as an officer of the German Special Forces (KSK) in various command assignments in Germany and abroad. He now supports customers both in crisis prevention and in the architecture of holistic and seamless security management. We discuss the similarities between kidnappings and ransomware, the fact that most companies still underestimate the cyber threats they face, and how to best create a crisis management and cyber response plan.
In ‘Workhorses, kidnappings, and ransomware’ we discuss:
- The similarities between ransomware and kidnapping and how to respond to ransomware attacks
- Companies need more awareness of cybercrime across the board, and should have preventative measures in place
- The different legal requirements based on which country the cybercrime takes place in, makes investigations challenging for law enforcement
- Bigger companies should be aware of creating silos when creating crisis management plans – having a full view is crucial
- In a crisis situation, management can sometimes decide on the wrong course of action out of eagerness rather than making an informed decision
- Metaphorically, workhorses are better than racehorses in the special forces
About Phishy Business
Fed up with the same old cybersecurity stories? Come with us on a journey that explores the lesser-known side. Whether it’s social engineering, taking criminals to court or the journalists hunting down hackers — our new podcast series, Phishy Business, looks for new ways to think about cybersecurity. Mimecast’s very own Brian Pinnock and Alice Jeffery are joined by guests from a range of unique security specialisms. Each episode explores tales of risk, reward and just a dash of ridiculousness to learn how we can all improve in the fight to stay safe. For more tales of risk, reward and ridiculousness, subscribe to Phishy Business on iTunes, Spotify, Anchor or wherever you get your podcasts.