REI168: The Road to Commercial Real Estate Success w/ Matt Lasky
Manage episode 356469937 series 2539397
Patrick Donley and Matt Lasky do a deep dive on commercial real estate and what it takes to succeed in the business.
Matt brings over a decade of experience in commercial real estate investing, leasing, finance, portfolio and asset management to his role as Managing Partner at Equity Velocity Funds.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
04:21 - Why Matt chose a career in commercial real estate instead of a more traditional finance path.
04:21 - What the first year was like in the commercial brokerage industry.
08:13 - How a younger person can add value to senior partners.
11:52 - How much a CRE broker can expect to make in their first few years in the business.
40:42 - Why he focuses on medical office buildings.
48:11 - What happened in one of his worst deals and how he dealt with it.
59:59 - How he would recommend someone scale a commercial brokerage business.
01:02:54 - What asset class he is not working in, but keeps thinking about.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Robert’s book The Everything Guide to House Hacking.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyasaki.
- Richer, Wiser, Happier by William Green.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI010: Commercial Real Estate Investing w/ Ian Formigle, or watch the video.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI160: The Fundrise Approach w/ Ben Miller, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
Connect with Patrick (@jpatrickdonley): Twitter
Connect with Matt: Website | Twitter