Manage episode 288370998 series 52378
This month's episode of Brain Science features Iris Berent, author of "The Blind Storyteller: How We Reason About Human Nature." We explore how our deeply entrenched biases toward dualism and essentialism impact our attitudes toward neuroscience and toward problems like mental illness.
Links and References:
- The Blind Storyteller: How We Reason About Human Nature by Iris Berent
- A Skeptic's Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves by Robert Burton
- In BS 96 Dr. Burton raised similar issues to those mentioned in this episode
- Iris Berent at Northeastern University: publications
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additonal references and episode transcripts.
- TextExpander at textexpander.com/podcast
Green Chef at greenchef.com/90ginger: use coupon code 90ginger
- Brain Science comes out on 4th Friday each month.
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD. (Autographed copies are available)
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to email@example.com or post voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis